We all have been listening of the buzz about startups. There is sexiness and glamour associated with owning a startup – you get to be published in one or many of those tabloids covering the startup ecosystem. All of a sudden from the college dropout you become a celebrity. Everyone in the college starts recognizing you :P.
Well it may look good from outside but its amazing inside. Working in the startup is one of the best work experiences you can get in your life and if it is your first job, trust me you are not leaving this space. Startup is an amazing workplace where “You” are recognised no matter how small or a big a task you are responsible for. It is like a family. So what is really like to work in a startup (not for a startup)
1. You are responsible for the work you take up. It is very unlikely that you will be assigned some work with a timeline and you have to report every night before you leave the task in an excel sheet. It is you who is responsible for the task and in turn the progress of the company.
2. You are not there to do just one kind of work. Of all the things, work at startup is not at all repetitive or boring. You will be faced with new challenges every hour, new kind of tasks everyday and maybe new title every month. You are not supposed to posses just one skill set (even if you have one, you have to do a lot of many other tasks).
3. You will learn a lot of things everyday. You are programmer, you are kind of introvert and don’t like to talk to a lot many people, love your mac and build new things everyday. You are supposed to do all of that but in addition now you have to build teams, recruit people, inspire them, motivate them, conduct workshops, visit meetups to get more talent – designers, coders, writers everyone. Apart from that help them all in the challenges they face while learning all this skills. You have to leave your comfort zone and get into everyones shoes.
4. You get gadgets. Well if the startup you work in, if it has raised funding or is making enough profits (which is highly unlikely) you get to have all the fancy gadgets you want. Be it 24” screens (or maybe even 27”), macbook pro retina, NVIDIA G670 powered desktop, anything. Some will even let you design & build your own workspace.
5. You get to meet insane people. I always feel this, people in startups are insane. I have never ever seen the kind of energy and enthusiasm anywhere else. They will go on working for hours and hours – discussing, debating, fighting, coding, designing with the same ultrahigh energy level. Sometimes you may experience burns from the energy. Never try to get in a role conflict with an insane startup guy, more on this later.
6. You network with people from all walks of life. You will meet so many people, each one of them skilled and passionate about the work he/she is doing. You get to learn a lot from them. You make contacts which lasts long (some go for lifetime). You chat, you break bread together, you learn from their experiences, share yours. Life takes up new colors everyday and you wont realise how many different things and subjects you have learned. You will develop new hobbies, interests and maybe profession.
Overall startup is a place which will color up the blank/monotonous canvas of your life with all the possible shades present in a rainbow. It can be tough to realise all these colors and sometimes even harder to accept all of them at once. You will learn, learn to adapt and evolve. If you haven’t yet worked in startup, take a chance and work in one.